Job details for:
Direct Support Worker
Location: Waterloo Region, Ontario
Wage Rate: $25.05 per hour (+ 3.00/hour wage enhancement)
Posted on: February 1, 2024 Closing: February 29, 2024, 4:30pm
Sunbeam Community & Developmental Services is a non-profit, multi-site, multi-faceted organization that is committed to serving children, youth, adults, and seniors living with complex developmental, intellectual, behavioural, and/or physical disabilities.
Community Living Services (CLS) is one of three operating divisions of Sunbeam. CLS operates 21 residential care homes (group homes) and overnight respite sites, as well as a day programming, passport funded activities and a variety of therapeutic support services, resources and amenities for residential and community clients.
As a member of a support team, Community Living staff in our group homes will work in conjunction with a Multi-Disciplinary team to ensure a welcoming, safe and healthy living environment for clients including those with challenging aggressive behaviours. You will be required to assist clients with: Developmental Programming, Community Outings, Activities of Daily Living, Behaviour Interventions and Medication Administration.
- Diploma/Degree in Social Services (DSW, PSW, CYW, Autism and Behavioural Sciences). Related experience is preferred. Will consider equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge and experience in supporting individuals with Developmental Disabilities, Physical Disabilities, Dual Diagnosis, Autism, Challenging and Aggressive Behaviours and Complex Medical Needs considered an asset
- Experience and flexibility in providing support to individuals with severe emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Experience with facilitating and supporting Person Centered Planning
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office programs, electronic record keeping and data collection systems
- Must be comfortable entering a shallow chlorinated swimming pool and supporting individuals at indoor/outdoor community events
- Current Certification in First Aid/CPR
- Must have a valid Ontario Driver’s License (G2 minimum) and willingness to drive any of the agency vehicles (including highway driving/driving out of town)
- Able to successfully complete and provide a current Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Able to commit to working up to three shifts per week/up to 24 hours per week (must be available for a variety of shifts: nights, evenings, afternoons, and days) and two out of three weekends
- Experiencing working with trauma and at-risk youth a strong asset
What We Offer:
- EAP available immediately to staff and their family
- Employee/Employer contribution to Nursing Home and Related Industries Pension Plan
- Opportunities for Full-Time Employment
Sunbeam is an equal opportunity employer and we value the importance of diversity, dignity and worth of every individual in the workplace. Sunbeam offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by Sunbeam regarding an interview, please advise prior to the interview if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest but regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants can apply for this position online by clicking the ‘Apply Now’ button.