Job details for:
Recreation and Wellness Coordinator
Posted on: October 1, 2023 Closing: October 31, 2023, 4:30pm
Learn More About Our Recreation & Wellness Program
To get an idea about our exciting and rewarding Recreation & Wellness positions, please watch this video and see what we’re up to in the community.
Sunbeam Community & Developmental Services is a multi-site, multi-faceted organization providing client supports, day program and other services for individuals with a developmental disability.
We are presently inviting applications for the position of:
Recreation & Wellness Coordinator
Full Time – Permanent (37.5 hours per week)
Two Positions Available
The Recreation & Wellness Coordinator is responsible for organizing and delivering individual, small and large group programs for persons living with developmental disabilities – some of whom may be existing clients of Sunbeam Community & Developmental Services (in programs such as group homes, overnight respite, community outreach) and some of whom may be fee-for-service participants from other developmental services organizations and/or living in the community. The Recreation & Wellness Coordinator is expected to design and evaluate a variety of inclusive and integrated recreational and wellness programs to enhance and enrich the lives of all program participants.
- Work collaboratively to develop a quarterly Recreation & Wellness calendar of events and programs.
- Plan, research and deliver programs independently and as part of team(s).
- Assess and evaluate programs on a regular basis to determine quality, effectiveness and engagement of programs offered.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Plan passport-eligible activities, events and programs that relate to Individualized Support Plans (ISPs) and Personal Outcomes & Measures (POMs) of people supported; this may also include sourcing passport-eligible program supplies, equipment, technology, adaptive devices etc. to enrich participants’ engagement and enjoyment of such activities, events and programs.
- Collaborate with other Community Living Services staff to aid in the development of recreation and wellness focused components of ISPs and POMs for persons supported.
- Attend Person Centered Planning meetings as requested.
- Drive Sunbeam Community & Developmental Services vans for outings and special events.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Post-Secondary diploma/certificate in Recreation and Leisure Studies, Recreation Management, Therapeutic Recreation, Recreation Therapy, Sport/Athletics and Recreation Management, or Fitness and Health Promotion Studies.
- At least one-year demonstrated experience organizing and delivering recreation and wellness programs to vulnerable persons, preferably to people with developmental disabilities.
- Special event planning experience.
- Computer software and documentation knowledge.
- Familiar with the community events, amenities and recreation/social/community activities and opportunities within Waterloo Region and beyond is an asset.
- Weekdays and Weekends – Flexible with hours – Morning/Afternoon/Evening programs.
- Possible Statutory holiday programming.
- Must be able to drive or have reliable transportation.
Sunbeam is an equal opportunity employer and we value the importance of diversity, dignity and worth of every individual in the workplace. Sunbeam offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by Sunbeam regarding an interview, please advise prior to the interview if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest but regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants can apply for this position online by clicking the ‘Apply Now’ button.